Sunday, May 31, 2015

Back To Basics

The Introduction Class

As I mentioned before, when it comes to art / craft projects (and over the years I've done many different kinds) I have never done things in the order they are supposed to be in, nor have I done things simply... I'm known for jumping in with both feet and tackling the more complicated pieces first.  When I was into crewel embroidery as a teenager I loved making French knots! (My mother thought I was nuts.) With knitting and crocheting I didn't just start with a scarf or a dish towel - I jumped right into sweaters and afghans.  Then with tole painting I went straight to large wooden items that were practically pieces of furniture; and with beading I went straight to the complicated necklaces and bracelets rather than a simple wire-wrapped pair of earrings.  So why should it be anything different with tangling ...?

One week after the first class, exploring ZIAs, I headed back to Janet for the introduction class, this time with another friend in tow.  (When you are doing something fun, word gets around.)  

Two hours well spent, and Ilm glad I went back to the basics!  We learned about "tiles", "strings", what types of materials to use for certain effects, how to hold the pens, pencils, snubbers ... and easier approaches to patterns - like looking for "step-outs".  The first two tiles were done in class.  The rest are just me, experimenting with different "strings" and patterns.  Some patterns I repeated to practice, and some are others I just wanted to try ...
3 1/2" X 3 1/2" tiles; Micron pens; shading with graphite pencil
Crescent Moon, Flux, Florz, Hollibaugh, Betweed, Printemps
May 23, 2015



I am discovering I can repeat a tangle pattern on different pieces and it will look different each time... especially when the colors change!

See Gallery Page for more ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you - your comment has been submitted for moderation and will appear shortly...